Friday, November 9, 2007

Washington India Turkey Red 19th C Fabric Yardage

Visit The Gatherings, to see all of the beautiful antique and vintage textiles I have ~ antique clothing, hats, accessories, children's clothing, vintage bed and table linens, antique children's toys, vintage sewing notions, quilts and so much more!

Subscribe to The Gatherings Antique Vintage by Email

I had the good fortunate of being able to purchase this exquiste piece of 19th C fabric yardage still retaining two of its original paper labels. This piece measuring a whopping 9 yards long x 23" wide is rather uncommon today to see in this amount of yardage - in one piece. And unused I might add. Usually one finds scraps as well as small amounts of yardage left over from a sewing project so I consider it a real find to have 9 yards. Dating this piece to about 1880-1890's. Not only does the 23" width of the fabric but the design of the Washington India Turkey Red ...label indicates c1880-1890's era. Most standard widths of fabric during this time was 24" wide.

Another interesting fact to me was the complete label as it reads Washington India Turkey Red Robes. One might believe this yardage was intented for making & sewing dressing robes. However, I am sure there were many other purposes for such a beautiful piece of cloth.

During my research on dating this piece of fabric I also found "turkey reds" dating from the early 1800's. All photographed were made in France about 1810-1815. These reds were also known as Adrianople reds and were quite vibrant in design and color. It was quite breathtaking to view these exurbant patterns as they did want to leap from the pages of the book.

Although this piece of fabric is a little more subdued in coloration than the 1810-1815 pieces photographed in my book, it still is wildly attractive showing its own standard of boldness and exurbant pattern.

There is nothing on either label to indicate if the fabric was manufactured here in America or if it was imported. Again, I am guessing but I would say the fabric was made here in the United States. With further researching the label this determination could probably be made.

I have also written another article on this same subject but with a different approach. Please read here to gain a different insight on the usage of this type of fabric.

No comments: